REPORTING TO: Head of CG
HOURS OF WORK: 9.00 am to 6.00 pm, sometimes it is required to work longer hours in order to meet deadlines.
BASIC FUNCTION: With directions given by the Supervisor on the show, the Senior Lighting TD performs sequence and shot lighting, addresses artistic notes, creates generic or bespoke lighting setups and autonomously manages the technical and artistic aspect of entire sequences and shots. Matches CG elements with live-action plates and ensures consistency across the sequence to deliver high quality images to the compositing department. Liaises with the Supervisor on a daily basis for shot allocation and feedback.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
ARTISTIC AND TECHNICAL
- Designs the style of an image in a shot or sequence.
- Performs Key lighting, shader and HDRIs adjustments.
- Creating, optimizing and debugging scene setups, monitoring render farm jobs.
- Working with other departments to solve technical issues related to assets within the shot or sequence.
MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION
- Provides artistic feedback and technical support and guidance to Junior and Mid Lighting Artists.
- Maintains the required standard of work and ensures that the lighting pipeline is followed.
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and the management by keeping them informed of work progress, any technical issues and recommended solutions.
- Works closely with compositors to ensure that all required passes and layers are supplied.
- Manages time and resources to meet weekly targets.
- Provides the Supervisors and Producers with progress reports on an “as needed” basis.
- Ensures time sheets are accurately filled-in to enable the production and accountant to accurately predict profitability/completion of a project.
- 5+ years relevant experience in lighting for visual effects.
- Good artistic skills and knowledge of the visual effects pipeline.
- Previous experience lighting photorealistic CG in live action environments.
- Proven experience in industry standard lighting packages, Gaffer or any other node based lighting software such as Katana.
- Good knowledge of Arnold Renderer or any other ray trace based renderer.
- Familiarity with Linux and Python programming.
- Good understanding of Nuke or any other node based compositing software.
SKILLS DESIRED: (But not essential)
- Lookdev and shader writing with OSL.
- Basic knowledge of Maya and/or Houdini.
- Visual Art portfolio, digital or traditional is considered.
- Experience in leading and training others.
- Organised and methodical.
- Ability to work well in a team and to solve shot specific issues independently.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Proactive with the ability to work on your own initiative.
- Time management and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Good written and verbal presentation/communication/listening skills.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER?
Cinesite offers a positive, creative environment where the world’s leading animation and effects artists are encouraged and supported to develop and produce challenging, world leading, award winning work.
If you want to be part of the Cinesite story, please submit your application as an online submission via this website. If your candidacy is successful, you will be contacted shortly, if it is not retained for this position it will stay on file for future opportunities.